Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Worst Night. Ever!

If only this was all just a bad dream......

Before I hit the pillow, I was talking to Sean about my flat iron. Yes, my flat iron. Poor Sean. I was telling him that I didn't remember turning it off at work. It was actually stressing me out, and I think I may of had a little anxiety attack. I kept thinking worst case scenarios, which was no good while trying to fall asleep.

We prayed together and then I prayed, like a primary child (very specific, lengthy, and repetitive), about my flat iron. I was asking things like 'please let it short out', 'please let the cleaners go directly to my flat iron and know to turn it off', 'please don't let my boss know what I have done', and so on. My prayer was LONG and mainly just about my flat iron, the salon, and fire prevention.

Finally I drifted off to sleep.

4 a.m. came along, and I woke up sweating profusely and shaking. Sean had his arm around me and it was drenched with my sweat. He woke up as I sat straight up in a panic. Still half asleep, he asked me what was going on. I told him that I had a nightmare about the salon. In my dream my flat iron sparked and started a fire. The fire then spread throughout the salon and up into the apartments above the salon. The firemen came and found that it was my flat iron that started the whole thing. The salon was ruined. The tenants living above the salon had burnt up belongings and no home. My boss and everyone I worked with were yelling at me. I was being sued for being so irresponsible, and was most certainly fired. It was a terrible dream and I felt like it really happened and started panicking about my darn flat iron again.

I don't know if Sean caught on to all the details in my nightmare, but I knew I had to do one thing. I grabbed the keys and told him I had to go to the salon. Yes, I was on the way to the salon by myself at 4:15 am. During the 15 minute drive I was convinced that I was out with all of the car thieves and the rest of the Pittsburgh trouble makers. I got a little scared, but knew I had to check on the salon.

I got to the salon and jumped out of the car. I was wearing my black sweats with the hood up on my head- totally inconspicuous. I went over to the window, cupped my hands around my eyes and tried to see if my flat iron was on. I looked like I was about to do something sketchy, but knew that nobody was watching me. WRONG. People were waiting at the bus stop right across the street. I didn't care what they thought at the time. All I could think about was the flat iron. I couldn't tell if it was on, but I felt good knowing that the salon and apartment complex were still intact and fire-free.

By the time I got home Sean was awake and confused. Poor Sean. I told him what I did and he thought I was crazy. Shoot, I thought I was crazy.

I fell back asleep and woke up an hour later. I had the same dream. I had the same reaction. I responded the same way.

Two trips to the salon in black sweats. Two times I cupped my hands around my eyes. Two times I peered, like a night time creep, through the window. Two times I had an audience watching me from the bus stop across the street.

I made it to work. So what if I was there three hours early. I found out that my flat iron was safely unplugged all night long, and I had nothing to worry about all along.

Unfortunately my bad luck hadn't ended when I found my flat iron unplugged. I realized that this whole thing was on tape and that those that witnessed the dark clothed salon stalker, from across the street, probably called the police. I knew I had to tell my boss about my trips to the salon in the middle of the night. I was embarrassed, but I knew he would hear from security guards and see all the footage on camera. Yes, my trips were each recorded. I felt so stupid, but so relieved that my nightmare was that- just a nightmare. Stupid nightmare.

I told my boss. My boss looked at me like I was crazy. Then asked if I was pregnant. I wished so badly that I could blame my behavior on something other than paranoia, but I couldn't.

I NEVER want to relive last night- EVER! I am tired, embarrassed, and slightly worried I may have a psychological disorder.

13 comments:

DeFreese said...

omg rachel!! that sounds so awful!! and, don't hate me, but it's kinda funny too :)

Carly said...

I hate to admit to too, but I am kind of giggling myself. I have had similar nightmares too though I've never acted upon them. You are just responsible, that's all! Love you!

Stephanie said...

Haha Rachel you are the best! You should have just told him you might be pregnant... I always have to say out loud OFF when I turn off my straightener so I know it's off. If not I am the same way and can't stop thinking about it. Thanks for sharing the story.

Jenna said...

Wow....that is some intense night and dream. I hate dreams like that. I worry about that too with my hot glue gun and once even had to call my brother-in-law's 16 year old friends to break into my inlaws house and go up to my room to make sure it was unplugged. And it was. Weird what our minds do to ourselves. I hope you never have a dream like that again.

Paige said...

You poor thing. But I have to admit, I did laugh a little. I hope you can catch up on your sleep tonight!

Chelsea said...

You make me laugh. I admit I have turned around half way to work once or twice because I was convinced my flat iron was on and I just knew my dogs were burning alive right that second with no way out of our house. Luckily things were okay. Stephanie's trick really does help. I always have to say "OFF" really loud when I turn it off now. Hopefully that will prevent any future night terrors.

iyouandme said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA. OK...you don't have a psychological disorder. You're just hilarious!!! I'm so glad everything was ok.

Dana said...

I left my 2nd grade class once with another teacher and drove all the way from Eagle Mountain back to my apartment in Provo to make sure my space heater was off. Which it was (of course!). That was pretty embarrassing. Don't worry- I think we've all had our moments. And if anyone hasn't . . . then theirs is coming!

Liz Morrill said...

I think I may just wake up in the night LAUGHING from that story!! oh, I am so glad you wrote that down, and you will be glad some day also... someday you will be able to look back and laugh!!
love you Rach!!!
and be safe while driving alone through the streets in the middle of the night!!

Helena said...

I've had anxiety like that before, and it is so scary! I'm glad it turned out ok. So I don't know if it's a comfort, but you are not any crazier than I am :)

Jenn said...

I love this story Rachel because it sounds EXACTLY like something I would do. I thought I was the only one who does stuff like this but I'm glad to hear someone else does the same thing! If you find a way to not do things like this, let me know!!

Anonymous said...

Haha. I'm sorry, that would really stink. BUT if the salon burned down at least you wouldn't have to work at the job you hate anymore:)

kodyandheather said...

Must be a hair dresser thing. I have had the same nightmares!! :)